Productivity


As I sit inside a fully packed library, it's only week 3 but the dissertation is not far due, I keep catching myself looking outside the window, which reminds me of the Dubliners that we had to study for our A Levels. I don't remember much about the Dubliners but that the windows are very symbolic. This phrase is very much ingrained in my brain, they are symbolic because you can see the other side, know the other side but you cannot experience it yet always overlooking what we can experience on this side of the window.

Okay, back to my purpose of writing this post. The purpose is always a heavy subject, which ultimately always leads me to ask questions such as "what is my real purpose?" nevertheless, solely asking this question with a purpose already inside me and hence, I have given up on straying down that road.


I want to point out the subject of 'busy' ness that the western civilization has embodied throughout the years. Since I came from the eastern society, from the country where enlightened master 'Buddha' was born(there is a debate on that, interesting because people care little about his teachings but care so much about debating where He was born) and this does not mean I automatically am an enlightened student, I, certainly, am on pursuit to catch a glimpse of it. The point is we didn't do much as an activity to fill our day, we just chilled. In my understanding chilled meant: on the winter day just basking on the sun on a rooftop with a worry-free state of mind. So migrating to the UK was a little bit awkward as everyone seemed to be doing something, which made me extremely uncomfortable and at times made me question: 'is there something that I am missing out?' and the Universe cleverly didn't answer at all. I wanted to know what people were actually doing. To understand this I had to be busy, I had to find to do something at least and there were numerous things available to fill my time, one thing after another merely filling time but where is the fulfillment in that? 
(Universe did not answer because there was nothing to be answered. I know it is always working on my favor.)


If we are not doing something then we are actually obligated to feel guilty and feel unproductive. So, in reality, doing something meant leading to the path of self-sabotaging.
"activity does not mean productivity
Being a student, many students are obligated to just hold a book or work on the assignment and if they do anything else, they feel guilty. Pareto's law of eighty twenty explains it all, eighty percent of the time we are stressing and twenty percent of the time we are actually doing something about it. We should actually be putting twenty percent of work and producing eighty percent of the results. For me, its either I do the work or either be happy with the results I get but the cost of stress is more than what it appears to be. Mental health should not be overlooked, at any cost!

Naturally, I am a person who enjoy journey more than destination. So I am just taking it all in, perks of being student because I am going to miss this time. For me, I love the waiting part in the airport(not with my macbook or phone, but mostly just observing people) after you check in and sitting on the bus or train or car, and just wandering. I love to simply observe.

So, if I compare between the two: 'love to observe' or simply 'obligated to do something', latter is out of the equation. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Save that Dance

Sisters of the World

helpless Town and its Mayor